Thursday, May 3, 2007

It's Just Emotion, Taking Me Over....

This morning at work, I had a moment of self-realization...

I was chatting with my boss about something that was frustrating me, and I suddenly got that weird "I'm about to choke up" feeling. Obviously this was completely horrifying, because I belong to the school of thought that crying at work is completely unacceptable. The moment passed as quickly as it came, and I finished the conversation wondering if my boss noticed that I had teared up over a ridiculous work-related gripe.

The self-realization moment came when I sat back down at my desk....

For as long as I can remember, my reaction to every single emotion moment is to tear up. Angry? Sad? Nervous? Frustrated? Happy? About to do some public speaking? I quickly choke up, and then the moment passes. (it's usually about an 8 second choke up, with a 3 second recovery)

I've been like this for as long as I can remember, and it quickly ( and unintentionally) takes any slightly emotional moment to the next level...which believe me when I say, is really annoying. I hate being misinterpreted.

Now, I don't consider myself to be overly emotional or dramatic....so what's the deal?

For now, I guess I'll just consider it to be another fascinating quirk, among my laundry list of unique traits....either that or I'm losing my mind ;).

No comments: